Hydrotherapy offers a range of benefits for many conditions treated here at Harbouside Physiotherapy.
Hydrotherapy has been utilised for years as a treatment technique for pain, inflammation, weakness and stress.
Buoyancy reduces the effective body weight; for people who are in too much pain to walk, or have difficulties maintaining balance, hydrotherapy allows them to simulate land activities in a safe and supportive environment. Water also offers excellent resistance and thus strength training.
Hydrotherapy may be used to achieve the following:
- Increased strength and flexibility
- Reduction of high tone & spasticity
- Reduction of pain and/or hypersensitivity
- Improved balance
- Improved circulation & cardiac function
- Improved co-ordination
Some conditions that we recommend Hydrotherapy include
- Arthritic and Rheumatological conditions including Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Sports Injuries
- Neurological conditions for example MS, Parkinsons, Stroke, Acquired Brain Injury
- Weight Loss, in initiating an exercise programme without harming joints in a less stress medium for joints
If you are unsure as to whether you might benefit from hydrotherapy and would like some more information, don’t hesitate to call